Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 3:13-14



Thursday, March 18, 2010

Finding a purpose for my words

I'm trying to figure out just what this blog is all about. Certainly it is a place to collect my thoughts. I hope its contents will be read by others and my readers will find encouragement among these words. Comments would be most welcome and very much appreciated.

Julie Powell's blog as chronicled in the movie "Julie and Julia" and the book by the same name have inspired my efforts. As have listening to an interview and a peek at Chantel Hobb's website http://www.chantelhobbs.com/chantel/. Chantel's story is one of dramatic change through embracing a healthy lifestyle, 200 pound weight loss, and a new life encouraging others. Like Chantel, my life has been renewed through my journey of weight loss, 120 pounds to be exact, and the maintenance thereof. Julie on the other hand had a firm plan to blog for 365 days about her experience cooking the recipes from beloved chef Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".

Last night as I drifted off to sleep I fantasized about creating my own daily blog. "But Julie was writing about food," I thought. "And I'm just writing about...um... oh, food. Not in the same way of course. I love to eat but don't particularly enjoy preparing meals. My eldest daughter pointed out that Julie had a specific goal and made a one year commitment to herself. According to Wikipedia she also had a degree in creative writing. I, on the other hand, have a 20 something year old degree in graphic arts from community college and an equally impractical AA in liberal arts.

If you have read anything else in blog you might have gathered that I am a woman of faith, Christianity, and I hardly think that God who is creator of all would be limited by such a small thing as lack of formal education. Perhaps my ramblings might one day be enough for a book. Oh I am a dreamer and one who is rather lacking in the ability to employ proper punctuation.

I'm not sure that I want to write solely about weight loss, although that is certainly a major focus in my life; I do have other interests. Unlike other formerly obese people, I don't have the knowledge and not really the desire to write a how to book. Instead I would like to share my story and offer encouragement along the way. If I were to write about what I have done and continue to do for good health I might discourage readers as I have been dismayed by the tales of other big losers. To be fair, I have been inspired by Dr. Ben Lerner's "Body by God" which offers far more than weight loss advice. "My Big Fat Greek Diet" by Dr. Nick Yphantides and Mike Yorkey is a heart warming story not overbearing in the weight loss advice offered. "YOU On a Diet" by Drs. Roizen and Oz, and "Superfoods Rx" by Steven Pratt, M.D. and Kathy Matthews gave me a boost when I really needed it.

Jumping in with enthusiasm and later waining in my commitment is a fault of mine. But I have been true to my promise in marriage for nearly 24 years and this month marks 20 years of lovingly raising my children. Exercise and healthy eating have become a habit that has lasted more than 3 years. Even when I don't feel like it I am faithful to exercise 5 days a week, no excuses. My exercise partner, my dad, has kept me honest in this regard. Although my walk with the Lord has had many ups and downs I have stayed true to my faith since age 14. When it counts I can persevere. I will have to see if this new project warrants such a pledge.

Last night I indulged in junk food for the first time in more than a week. It was difficult to go without but necessary considering the lax attitude toward overeating that I have exhibited in recent weeks. I have a tendency to eat my favorite treats as though I will never have them again. Very reminiscent of the bad old days. Popcorn is a particular weakness and I tend to see a serving as a bowl, not a small one either. Today I knew I must return to healthy eating. That is the one thing I have tried to do is make the next day be healthy with no going back to the vacation foods of the previous night. It is not easy. I find that it is hard to concentrate when I am sitting in front of a table of desserts at a gathering. All I want to do is eat. Feelings of fullness are no deterrent and highly caloric foods tend not to fill me up the way my staples do making it easier to go too far. Only my resolve not to continue saves me and that is only by the grace of God.

My brother's birthday celebration will be this Sunday and the builder promises a party to commemorate the dig for my parents' new home on Monday. Temptations abound. It's hard to believe so many people are starving in a world where I eat too much. Guilt will not serve them. I need to instead put myself aside and use what blessings I have to benefit them.

Writing my weekend thoughts here may be just what I need. Putting my decisions in print for anyone to see perhaps will deter me. The other benefit is keeping my fingers busy and therefore not busying my mouth with more food. A blessing to be sure.

Goodnight fair readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment